Beware! Using these apps could deactivate your WhatsApp account
WhatsApp, the Facebook-owned messaging app that has more than a billion users, is currently issuing warnings and requesting its users to avoid using third-party clone apps such as GB WhatsApp or WhatsApp Plus. According to the company, those who are using WhatsApp’s clones are at a safety risk as the company doesn’t support such third-party apps and cannot authenticate their security practices.
WhatsApp will be temporarily banning accounts of those users who are using an unsupported version of WhatsApp instead of the official WhatsApp app. If a user’s account is blocked, they are required to download the official version of WhatsApp to resume working of the app. Before they download the official WhatsApp app, users are suggested to save their chat history. This is applicable in case users are using an app other than WhatsApp Plus or GB WhatsApp.
“WhatsApp cares deeply about the safety of our users. To protect the privacy and security of their account, it is strongly recommended that users only download WhatsApp from official app stores or from the website,” WhatsApp spokesperson told Indian Express.
Apparently, WhatsApp has already started temporarily banning users from using the most popular chatting app, suggests reports. If the chat history of a user is found to be violating the rules, then in such a case the entire chat history of the user would be deleted, warned the company.
Check out the steps below to switch to the official WhatsApp app:
For GB WhatsApp users:
- Wait for your temporary ban to end. The timer will show you the length of the ban.
- Go to GB WhatsApp, tap More options > Chats > Back up chats.
- Go to Phone Settings > tap Storage > Files and find GB WhatsApp folder.
- In the upper right corner, tap More > Rename and rename the folder to “WhatsApp”.
- Go to Google Play Store and download the official WhatsApp app.
- In WhatsApp, verify your phone number with OTP.
- Tap Restore> Next on the Backup found screen.
- WhatsApp will load your existing chats from the unofficial app.
For WhatsApp Plus users:
1: Go to Google Play Store, download the official WhatsApp app and install it.
- Verify your phone number and all your existing chats will automatically transfer to the official WhatsApp app.
Note: Ensure that you delete any unofficial apps or APKs deleted from the phone to avoid issues.