Before all this social media facade, there was only one Yahoo Messenger. If by gods grace you are a 90s kid you can recall the sweet memories of how Yahoo Messenger introduced you to a whole new universe of people and turned your world upside down. Admit it! Even Orkut couldn’t turn it down back then. We may not use it after Facebook and all the others alluring social media apps but it still holds an emotional value in our heart.
Now, Yahoo is shutting down its old messenger app and we can’t help but say that it may have lost its charm among these new apps but it was the coolest thing ever in the 90s.
The new version of updated messenger will be available from 5 August this year and the old one will be completely shut down.
Yahoo stated that their new version of this app will allow users to send and unsend messages, exchange of photos and animated GIFs. They can communicate 1:1 or in groups.
Well, the new version of app sounds exciting but how can we ever forget the amazing old version and here are some unforgettable reasons why it will be missed :
1. We all learned the art of chatting with it and while doing that we all have a variation of messenger name that we thought were cool such as Coolcat/princess/cooldude/stud/dreamboy etc,etc.
2. The habit of Yahoo was so addictive that we have spent hours and hours on it and while we were spending hours online chatting, our parents were under the impression that we were doing homework online. Way too much fun it was!!
3. Chatting with strangers introduced us to many kinds of human species and we can never forget our ‘messenger love’ that we dated online, loved online and then broke up online. That was just too cute !!
4. Ping is today’s version of BUZZ that we had in our old messenger. We never used to ping as we had a BUZZ button to blow another side of the world. Crazy it was!
5. We managed to communicate in different languages as we wandered around the various chat room in order to find a genuine person. Making random friends from random countries was exciting and talking to a stranger online never felt unsafe back then.
6. It was the first place where ‘because’ became ‘coz’ and ‘good’ became ‘gud’. We have learned all the shortcuts of countless words from this old app. The world can’t be grateful enough for that!
7. We have learned most of the acronyms here but most importantly, we learned the real meaning of ASL.
The old version will be shutting from 5 August and I already feel that I won’t be able to see an unforgettable part of my life ever again.