Kalan Recipe is a part of Onam Sadya Menu , a traditional , popular and a must in sadya menu.Kalan is nothing but plaintain and yam cooked and added to a yogurt coconut based sauce which is a thick and creamy curry.As onam is there today, tried Kalan curry which is one of the dishes in Sadhya menu.
Time: 30 minutes
- Raw green plantain – 1/4 cup chopped
- Elephant yam – 1/4 cup chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Sour yoghurt – 2 cups
- Fenugreek powder – 1/4 tsp (Dry roast 1/2 tsp of fenugreek and grind it to a fine powder)
- Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies – 1
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilli – 1
- Curry Leaves – a small sprig
- Remove the skin of the veggies and chop it into bite sized pieces, Keep immersed in water and rinse it well.Cook the vegetables in required water with pepper,red chilli and
- turmeric powder till soft and is slightly mushy. Drain water.
- Grind the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ to a semi fine paste.Transfer the cooked veggies to a pan and add the coconut paste along with spice powders,fenugreek powder
- and required salt.
- Saute until raw smell leaves.Beat curd and keep aside.Then finally add yogurt.
- Keep stirring in between to avoid curdling. When it reaches a semi thick consistency switch off. Heat oil in a pan and temper the items under ‘to temper’, add it to the curry
- and give a quick stir.
- Serve with rice!