This lip-smacking pulao loaded with richness from the saffron and nuts, and makes a perfect accompaniment for any festive occasion or parties. Indulge into delicious mildly sweet royal pulao flavoured with saffron and aromatic spices-Kashmiri Pulao
Time: 45 minutes
- 3 cups, long grain basmati rice, soaked for 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon ginger, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon dry ginger powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon, fennel powder (saunf)
- 1-2 green chilies, slit
- 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cashew nuts, roughly broken
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts (cashew nuts, Almonds, Walnuts, Raisins, Pistachios), roughly cut
- a few strands of saffron, soaked in 1/4 cup of warm milk
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups water
- salt as per taste
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- Whole Spices
- 1 teaspoon shahjeera
- 2 inch stick of cinnamon
- 2 black cardamom
- 4-5 green cardamom
- 6 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup Apples, diced small for garnish
- 1/4 cup Pineapple, diced small for garnish
- 3 tablespoons fried onions for garnish
- To begin making the Kashmiri Pulao Recipe, first wash and soak the rice for about 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, drain the water and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, heat 2 tablespoons of ghee.
- Add bay leaf, shahjeera, black cardamom, cloves, green cardamom, cinnamon sticks and fry them for few seconds until they release a roasted aroma.
- Add a tablespoon of broken cashews and fry for another minute until the cashews are roasted golden.
- Add ginger juliennes, ginger powder, fennel powder, Kashmiri chili powder,salt and the soaked rice and fry for few seconds. Add milk, saffron milk, water and bring the
- pulao to a brisk boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and allow the rice to cook, until all the liquid has be absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat another tablespoon of oil in the pan and roast the dry fruits until light golden brown. Take it off the heat and keep aside.
- Once the rice is done, add roasted nuts to the rice and gently fluff up the rice with the fork. Transfer the rice to a serving platter, garnish it with fried onions and diced fresh
- Serve the Kashmiri pulao along with Paneer Tikka Masala, Butter Naan and Mint Raita to make a complete dinner.