These sweet spiked treats aren’t quite what they appear! The wedges aren’t just pieces of fruit, but lemon-flavored jelly shots molded to look like the real thing.
Time: 1 hour
- 6 lemons, cut in half lengthwise
- ½ cup lemon juice (from the 6 lemons)
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 5 ½ teaspoons (2 envelopes) unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup citrus vodka
- Cut around the edges of the lemon flesh to separate it from the peel. Scoop it out into a bowl and scrape the peel clean.
- Place each clean peel into a jumbo muffin tin, or any container that will hold them upright, separate, and prevent spillage.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the lemon juice, orange juice, sugar and water.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the mixture and let it sit for 5 minutes, until the gelatin is softened.
- Heat the pan over medium heat, and stir until the sugar and gelatin are completely dissolved, about 2 to 3 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Whisk in the vodka and remove from the heat.
- To make it easier to fill the lemon halves, transfer the gelatin mixture to a large liquid measuring cup when cool enough to safely do so.
- Fill each peel up to the top.
- Transfer the tins of filled peels to the refrigerator for 6 hours, or overnight, until the gelatin is set.
- Slice each lemon half into thirds and serve.