The Patras also known as Alu Vadi’s is a delicious preparation using spinach or colocasia leaves that has a sweet and tangy gram flour mixture spread on them and rolled in a special way to form a pinwheel. A savoury steamed leaf roll recipe- Gujarati Patra
Time: 40 minutes
- 5 extra large spinach leaves or colocasia leaves, cleaned and dried
For the Paste :
- 1-1/2 cups gram flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon jaggery, powdered
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder or 1 teaspoon thick tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon oil salt to taste
For the Seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 to 4 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated coconut
- Combine all the ingredients for the paste adding very little water and make a smooth paste.
- Place each spinach leaf on a flat surface with the greener side facing down, the pointer side facing towards you and the broader/heart side facing up.
- Spread about a tablespoon of the gram flour paste evenly on the surface of the spinach. Fold the pointer side towards the inside half way through and press it gently to get
- stuck on the leaf. Gently fold the left and the right sides till towards their centre.
- Now roll them into a log lengthwise and seal the edges together with the gram flour mixture. Keep aside.
- Continue the same process with the other spinach leaves. Preheat a steamer with 3 cups of water at the bottom.
- Grease the steamer plates with oil and place the spinach rolls into the steamer plates. Cover the steamer and steam for 15 minutes on high heat. Turn off heat; remove the
- steamer pates from the steamer and allow them to cool for ten minutes.
- Once cooled, cut the spinach logs into sizes of half an inch and keep aside.
- The patras will look like pinwheels with layers of green spinach and yellow gram flour.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wide sauté pan on medium heat; add the sesame seeds, cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Transfer the steamed patras into the pan and gently stir them into the seasoning. Turn off heat and arrange the patras back into the platter.
- Garnish with freshly grated coconut and serve the delicious Gujarati Patra’s | Alu Vadi’s as an appetizer or along with your main course meal.