Time: 35 minutes.
- 1 kilo potatoes – roughly cut
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- ½ onion – roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 250ml (1 cup) whisked plain Greek yogurt
- 5 spring onions – thinly sliced
- 1 green chilli – finely chopped
- Juice of one lemon (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- ½ teaspoon paprika to garnish
- Boil the potatoes until fall apart tender. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- When ready to prepare the salad, heat the rapeseed oil over high heat in a large frying pan. When the oil is visibly hot but not smoking, toss in the mustard seeds. When they
- begin to pop, turn down the heat to medium high and add the cumin seeds. Let the spices temper in the oil for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped onion and turmeric and fry until the onion is translucent and soft.
- Pour this over the gem potatoes, stir well and let everything cool down.
- When cool, add the spring onions, finely chopped chilli, the whisked yogurt and lemon juice if using.
- Stir well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and the paprika and allow to cool in the fridge for an hour or more.